Im bored, so i have a blog. Youre bored, so you read and comment on my blog. LETS BE FRIENDS!!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Grief

on saturday last week, my oupa, mike bartman, died. he was 77 years old. we didnt expect him to die, but he did. we were picking my aunts shell and bron up from the airport, when the hospital phoned my mom and told her that oupas breathing wasnt good. we rushed to the hospital, and mom, bron and shell went in to see him. mom said he looked really bad, and she didnt want us to remember him that way. so morgy, gordon, hannah (my cousin from england who came with bron) and i went down to the cafe to buy milkshakes with the money mom gave us, and to wait. half an hour later, oupa just stopped breathing and died. bron and shell took it really hard, this had been the only time they saw him. we were all upset. mom phoned mike, who got a plane ticket, and came down that night with his wife and daughter. it didnt really sink in for me that oupa was dead till last night. i never got to say goodbye. i never told oupa how much i loved him. dad says he knew. i can only pray that he did. oupa wasnt like other grandparents. he was never very affectionate. he never really hugged me, or told me that he loved me. he did buy us shoes though. and nice things on our birthdays. he used to have his classical music blaring at night, when he was all tucked in and stuff, before he went to bed. he practiced medicine up till a few weeks before he died. i remember he always used to do his crosswords in his chair in the morning, while we kids ate breakfast. he had his nicknames for us: frankie (morgy) ukkel (me) and rastus (gordon). and no one else will call me that again. i loved my oupa, and he loved us although he never told us. i miss him, and wish i told him the last day i saw him how much i do love him. the last words i said to my oupa were "i'll see you next week then". but i never did. i wish so much, that i said more. but i didnt. and well, i cant change what happened.

6 comments:

Erika said...

Oh dudes, I'm SO sorry!! I'll be thinking of and praying for you guys.

Charles Jurries said...

Scarlett, I'll be thinking and praying for you. He sounds like he was quite the interesting character!

Anonymous said...

i dont know what its like if someone close to you dies, so i cant imagine what its like, ill be thinking and praying for you also

nick

Darselo said...

I'm sorry Scarlett... I'm thinking about you and praying for you like everybody else... Wish I could do more.

Anonymous said...

i'm really sorry scarlett. he had to have known u loved him, so don't worry about that. at least u guys were there and not here when he died...praying for ya'll.
court

John W. Sikma said...

Oh scarlett, I'm sorry about your Oupa. I forgot to give you my sympathy in my email. We've been praying for your family, I really hope you guys all feel better soon. And I don't really have anything else to say in this stupid sympathy comment, especially since I guess I don't really understand lossing a loved one. Peace my friend. May God be with you
-JWS